Make Your Engagement Photos the Best They Can Be!
If your Facebook feed hasn’t been full of engagement announcements over the past few months, then you are part of a very select few. And if you are one of those people who has been lovingly clogging everyone’s feed with your happy announcement- then congratulations! We couldn’t be happier for you. It is very apparent that love is in the air, and with rings and announcements and excitement comes the inevitable- engagement photos.
Whether they are dreaded or welcomed, engagement photos have become the expected norm for most couples. Here are some tips on what to do and wear to ensure that your photos are timeless, expressive of you and your fiancé, and won’t embarrass you in years to come.
- More than anything, the most important thing to remember is to be yourselves! It may sound cliché, but you want to make sure that your photos really capture the true essence of you and your fiancé. Be sure to wear something that you feel both comfortable and glamorous in. Wear clothes that make you happy and that you can easily move around in. This probably isn’t the best time to try out new styles.
- Something that will definitely make your photos stand out as your own is paying attention to the little details. Are you known for wearing a certain color? a certain type of shoes? a piece of jewelry? Try to make whatever it is fit with what you’re wearing for your photos! The people who know you best will have to see whatever it is and smile.
- The next thing to think about is how to coordinate outfits with your fiancé without being “matchy-matchy.” You and your fiancé do not have to wear the same outfit or even the same colors. It is much better to work with complementary colors or neutrals.
- That is not to say that there is no good way to use the same colors together, however! For example, if you are wearing a blue dress with small red flowers, your fiancé could easily wear a red checkered shirt/red tie/red SOMETHING and it would look great! Also, varying shades and hues of the same color can also be nice.
- And be prepared to bring two or three outfits, as many photographers will give you the option to change.
- So while you’re looking through your closets to find outfits to complement each other, remember that you don’t want to dress too trendy for your photos. Sure, a certain look may be hot right now, but will the trend last forever? You don’t want to look back on your photos and have any regrets about what you were wearing. Your safest bet is to stick to classic styles that will always make you look good.
- Something else to consider while you’re searching through your closet is the tone of your photos. Are you inside? outside? Are you going for super formal or more laid back? Whatever the case may be, make sure you and your fiancé look like you’re dressing for the same occasion.
- Then a few housekeeping items:
- Don’t get your hair cut the day of the photo session. You have no way to guarantee how it will come out! If you are in need of a cut, do it a few weeks before. Then, you’ll be more used to it and it will look and feel more natural (Same goes for spray tans).
- Also, make sure your nails are well-kept! Do what you need to, if it’s a manicure, a fresh coat of polish, or a little buffing! This is especially important if you’re the one wearing the ring. You don’t want chipped nails stealing the attention from your rock!
- And, then, of course, make sure your clothes are all laundered. Iron them if they need ironed, check for spots and stains, and do whatever else it takes to have your clothes in tip-top shape.
Of course, the most important detail of your engagement photos is your happiness. Always make sure that you love what you're wearing and what you're doing, and there's no way you can go wrong!
Photos courtesy of Michael Anthony Photography